Thursday, May 18, 2006

Barco!

an addendum to my earlier blog from tonight...

so Barcelona won the soccer match against Paris and is headed to the World Cup. Anyone familiar with European Football (Soccer) knows what a huge deal this is. And if you care to turn on the BBC world news, you may see live video of the action in the streets here in B-town tonight. Fireworks, fires, craziness... literally thousands of people partying like rock stars, on foot or in cars or scooters, vans, ambulances, police - no one can escape the fever.

Not even me.

Instead of staying safe in my bed, as I did try to do, I too got caught up in the excitement, heading to the Ramblas to see the activity for myself. Don't worry, I am now safely back in my hotel, but if you are curious as to what it was like, well... Mardis Gras on New Years Eve ain't got nothin' on this.

And I wouldn't have missed it for the world. The excitement and national spirit that is bringing young and old out of homes and hotels in little more than bath robes is something we just don't get in America. There is no fighting or intentional demolishing of city property (at least, not that I saw). People with flags and flares march thru the streets singing and clapping and everyone is so joyous.

Too bad I have to be awake again in less than 6 hours. Yeesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home