Tuesday, May 23, 2006

As Kadu says...

“We are still speaking sense…”

Sometimes, the best experiences in life have nothing what-so-ever to do with studies, history, or the lessons one may learn in the classroom. And while today the secrets of Antoni Gaudi were revealed even further to us at the Casa Batllo and Casa Mila, his rivalries with his contemporaries, and the Block of Discord, these are all topics I can write papers on.

What I can not (should not) write about in an educated setting is the joy of amassing a group of former strangers, brought together due to common interests, bonded together due to common tastes – in this case, Sangria. After another educational day of servitude to higher learning, sometimes there is no greater joy than gathering amongst your peers in your hotel room for a little R&R.

And three liter boxes of the red stuff later, you can feel a little closer to the ones you share space with, a little more at home in your surroundings. Home is where the heart is, after all, and what is a heart without friends?

Perhaps this is something Gaudi would have appreciated, dying alone with empty pockets and no family to mourn his passing. But that, as I have said, is a topic for the papers. For now, it is enough for me to know that I have made new friends here, in this new home away from home. These are people whom may never know all my stories but, after a few weeks together, will surely know the best ones. Amongst them I see future artisans and award winning architects, literary scholars and individuals I will be proud to call friends.

I have often in my life “collected” people for what they can offer me. In this group of educated and talented men and women, I know I am starting yet another assortment of dynamic individuals whom I hope I can offer as much to in the coming years as I know they will impart to me. Trips abroad, extra knowledge, friendships and community in this new and different world I am entering into… From here, the future looks bright and entertaining, and I am grateful for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home